Department of Chemistry, Nabagram Hiralal Paul College, under the University of Calcutta was established in 1983. Three-year Bachelor of Science (Honours) course in Chemistry was started in the year of 2002. This was a milestone achievement for the department. Chemistry is a distinctive and leading subject which encourages aspiring students to pursue an undergraduate course that will challenge their critical thinking, give practical exposure and prepare them for other rewarding professional careers. The teaching methods employed are in the form of classroom lectures, smart classroom lectures with visual mode using powerpoint presentation and practical classes in the laboratories. The Department of Chemistry has an excellent seminar library. Laboratories of this department are well equipped with all necessary equipments and chemicals for conducting practical classes. The basic infrastructure available in the laboratories are Spectrophotometer, Colorimeter, Conductivity meter, pH meter, Potentiometer, Digital polarimeter, Melting point apparatus, Fume Hood, Magnetic stirrer, Distillation set, Digital Balance, TLC Apparatus, Multiple suction pump, Vacuum pump and Computer-printer with Wi-Fi connection. The department provides a friendly intellectual environment for the curious and inventive students. Good as well as sincere relationship exists between faculty members and students.
The mandate of the Department of Chemistry, Nabagram Hiralal Paul College is to train the undergraduate students in the theoretical and practical knowledge of Chemistry that will allow them to succeed in their professional career.
The vision of the Department of Chemistry, Nabagram Hiralal Paul College is to train the students’ mind towards innovative thinking in academic field and also empower our students with moral, cultural and social values through true education. We want to provide special attention to the students of poor socio- economic background.
1. Qualified experienced dedicated faculty members and supportive management.
2. Well-equipped laboratories.
3. Prolific departmental library and computer & smart class facilities.
1. Completing the syllabus is very difficult under CBCS.
2. Most of the students are coming from rural area and first-generation learner so they are not highly motivated in studies.
3. Students can’t afford laptops or computers for practicing excel and FORTRAN practical and also dissertation works as per their syllabus in their home.
1. Chemistry graduates have numerous opportunities to apply their knowledge in variety of fields such as chemical sciences, biological sciences, material sciences, drug designing, molecular modeling, computational chemistry, molecular biology and many more.
2. Have opportunities to solve the challenges in climate control, toxicology and environmental science.
3. Job opportunities in Govt. sectors, private sectors, pharmaceutical companies and different industries.
1. Declining number of students in science subjects.
2. Laboratory maintenance is very expensive.
The SWOC analysis helps to identify the areas for improvement and growth, which will be addressed in line with the department’s mission and vision.